Campervan MOT

Campervan/Motorhome MOT

With your campervan conversion complete and re-registered as a ‘Motor Caravan’ according to the DVLA campervan conversion criteria.  You will still have to follow the rules of the road like any other vehicle driver.

All road vehicles must be safe to drive on the road and therefore you will need a campervan or motorhome MOT.  Your motorhome will require an MOT test every year if over 3 years old, just like any other vehicle.

‘Motor Caravans’ or re-registered campervan conversions are subject to class IV MoT test whereas goods vehicles between 3000 and 3500 KG are subject to a class VII test.

Also, Motor Caravans are subject to the same criteria as a normal car when tested.  Be sure to check whether any test centre has the facility to test your campervan as some do not have the room or a big enough lift suitable for larger vehicles.

Campervan/Motorhome Driving Licence Requirements

The requirements for driving different vehicle types vary depending on a number of criteria.  This also applies to motorhomes and campervans.

A licence to drive a motorhome depends on the vehicles maximum authorised mass (MAM) and the drivers age.  A motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes requires a category C1 licence.  Over 7.5 tonnes requires a category C licence.

The Gov.UK website has a handy ‘Check which vehicles you can drive’ facility.  Or if in doubt call the DVLA to enquire: 0300 790 6801

Import a Campervan/Motorhome and Size Limits

If you intend to drive the vehicle on the road then you will need to register it with the DVLA.

In the UK the size of a motorhome is restricted to no more than 12  metres long and 2.55 metres wide, not including mirrors, bumpers, lamps or reflectors.

There isn’t a height limit but if over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height which is visible to the driver.